Sunday, July 12, 2015

Nike LunarGlide 5: A Shoe Review

Yes I know these are the old model and the new model is already out, but hopefully this will help you out when are looking at the new model, since most shoe reviews are released after a few runs in them.  Mine is being released after 600+ miles in them.

So here they are brand new, my first pair of Nike's in over 10 years, so when I was first buying them I was really really fighting with myself, because I am an Adidas man.  I was pointed towards them by a couple people in the Trail Running and Ultramarathon community on Google+.

These things are like pillows, that literally it was tough to do fartlek, tempo, or intervals during the first 200 miles in them.  I am not complaining about it though, normally I do those type of runs in my racing shoes, so since these are not my normal racing shoes I am fine with super kooshy leg saving experience.  For my super long runs 20+ miles my feet never felt better, early in their life they are really great for ultra marathons that are not on super slick trails, because they are a road shoe.

200 - 500 miles I still loved them, they stiffened up a little bit so I could start really laying down some speed in them when I felt like it and they were still holding up very well in the long run.


After 500 miles at 171 pounds the shoes are starting to end their life with me, I am currently plus 600 miles in them.  Since around 500 miles my feet have starting hurting in them, the traction has finally started wearing out pretty good, but the top part of the shoe is still holding up strong, except for where my dog chewed them a little...  I am putting a new pair of insoles in them this week and going to be running the Christmas in July 24 Hour next weekend and am confident they will soft enough with addition and the shoes will hold up for many many more miles, hoping to hit the 1000 mark with them.



So here it is taper week 3, big race next week, time to ease into it.

Monday: 30 minute run
Tuesday: 30 minute run
Wednesday: 30 minute run, start chowing down on pretzels
Thursday: Relax and continue chowing down on pretzels
Friday:  Pretzels will be all I snack on till race time, Race starts at 10pm
Saturday: Race ends at 10 pm
Sunday: Trying to recover

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running Calculator