Monday, August 10, 2015

Training and Listening to Your Body

Not even sure what I am going to title this at this point, but I do know what I am going to talk about, training and listening to the body, actually that might be a good title!

There are times when you go out to train and you are looking at your training schedule and what is up for the day, and you are just like I am way too tired for this, my legs hurt, or it just may be way too hot for this exact workout.  Sometimes, it is just best to deviate from the plan and find something that will work or just take a rest day.

Lets start with too tired, now I am not saying too lazy, these are two completely different things.  When I say tired, I am saying literally have been having problems staying awake for the last few hours.  I do have this issue often as I do most of my training when I get off of work and I work third shift so there is that psychological issue as well.  Falling asleep while running is possible, I have done it, it is no fun waking up 50 yards down the road, a lot of things can happen in that time.  "Sometimes sleep is the best cross training", not sure where I read that line, it was a while back, but it's dead on the money.  Get a nap in, there have been times in the middle of an Ultra and was so bad off I stopped and napped, see if that helps or just go to bed for the day, either way it's one training day in a 3 month, 6 month or year training block.  Better to be able to run tomorrow than get hurt and not be able to train for weeks.

Next subject is pain, sometimes it can just kill any motivation we have to get out the next day, then again some of us thrive on it.  You wake up the next morning after a run and your legs are just killing, you think about running, but then you are like well will I get hurt if I run anymore, the answer could be yes or no.  Most times we are sore is because the day before we may have pushed it just a little harder than what we are used to, either we did speed work, got in some weight lifting, took a different course that may have been just a little hillier than what we are used to, or nutrition and/or sleep has changed up.  Whatever it may be, it may be a sign to take it a little easier today, we hate to back off now because yesterday was awesome, but if we push today the soreness COULD be worse tomorrow.  As for other pains, not muscle soreness or generally pains we get from the amazing fun time of running, you may want to talk to a doctor, especially if it has been around for a while or is getting worse.

Last but not least, especially this year in my area, the heat.  You walk out the nice air conditioned building, to realize you have entered the 7th gate of hell, as you start to run you realize you are literally the only idiot outside in this stuff, as you see random faces staring at you from inside their cozy homes.  In these conditions, I would say maybe we should cut the run short today or slow it down a lot.  When it is abnormally hot in your area, pay special attention to your body, some people take the heat just fine, I know I did when I was younger, I was actually best in high heat.  Now that I have gotten older, high heat shuts me down as it does most people, I know I can't go as or as hard as I would like, it's been a tough lesson, because I still fight with it keep trying to push through it, but the body can only handle so much stress before it starts forcing you to slow down or worse.

All I am saying is just be careful out there, we all want to keep racing, after all that is why we train.

Also, do not forget, I am still doing my shoe giveaway for lucky cross country runner.  Check out my Facebook page for more details.

Training for this week:

Monday - 2 hour run

Tuesday - 1 mile repeats x6

Wednesday - 2 hour run

Thursday - 400 meter intervals x12

Friday - 2 hour run

Saturday - 10 mile run

Sunday - 10 mile run


1 comment:

  1. Great post. Agreed, rest and sleep are as important as the training especially if you dream about running! Sleep on.

    ReplyDelete

Running Calculator