Sunday, August 2, 2015

Zack Hummer Memorial 5k and 10k

The Zack Hummer Memorial 5k and 10k is an event put on by a community in remembrance of an athlete but far more than that a brother, son, grandson and friend.  It's a tragedy I personally do not know much about, but was told about this great event by a fellow running buddy last year and asked me to come and support the event, and this is now my second year attending and it has grown a lot.  During this event there is obviously a 5k and 10k road race, 3 on 3 basketball tournament, music, raffle drawing, and my favorite, food.  This year, Charity, who is the mother and one of the great organizers of the event, and is also a member of Team Ragnarok, she is the goofy lady in the light blue, announced that this was a record year for the running events and basketball tournament, and all in good reason, it is one of the better events I attend throughout the year in East Central Indiana.

This run course is the type of run course you come to when you are looking to set a PR, it is fast.  I have been off my game this year as I have been training to run ultra distances, but this has been my fastest 10k this year by 1:30 with a 39:35, and I did a track workout two days before it and worked till 4:30 that morning.  For the 5k it is a one lapper and you guessed it, 2 lapper for the 10k.  It is basically an out and back with a loop around the park on the end each lap, you can not get lost and you always know where you are because it is marked very well.  Most the race is in the shade except for about a mile on each lap, from approximately mile 1 to mile 2, so for most of the race you are not battling a lot of heat.  Like I said, if you are looking for a good PR, come here!




Another great aspect of this race is the prizes, cash prizes for placing in the top 3 spots overall!  This year it was $100 for first, $50 for second, and $25 for third, so I was happy with my second place finish, and the rest of the team was happy because we kind of cleaned up, every person under the tent brought home money except the youngin he missed out by one place thanks the Chet, the guy in the red, also if you place top 3 you get a free entry for the next year, it is not like the entry fee breaks the bank though, it is only $20.  With entry fees that low, it is hard to stay away anyways.  I will definitely be back next year, and be hoping that they have my Pepsi and pickle for a $1.75 after the race.

Then there was the basketball tournament, which Team Ragnarok may have to form us up one next year.  The entry fee is $80 per team, and I believe they had cash prizes too.  From what I seen though I will definitely need to get on the court, because there were some serious teams playing.

Also, I started my first running shoe giveaway for kids.  Visit my Facebook page - That Guy in the Kilt, for more information.

Well I guess on to the training portion for this week, I feel great after the race this weekend so lets get to it.

Monday - 2 hour easy run

Tuesday - 1 mile repeats x 6

Wednesday - 2 hour easy run

Thursday - 5,4,3,2,1 fartlek

Friday - 2 hour easy run

Saturday - 24 miles on road

Sunday - 16 miles on hills

No comments:

Post a Comment

Running Calculator